Rockford Alumnae Chapter History

Rockford Alumnae Chapter received its charter on May 19th, 1956. Its first president was Mrs. Fred Prellberg. Other charter members included:

Jean Bullen (Mrs. C. W.); Sylvia Cooling (Mrs. Robert); Roberta Davis (Mrs. Morris); Irene Hall (Mrs. Ralph); Jean Hull (Mrs. Kenneth); Mary Lou Jeanmaire (Mrs. Robert); Marie Larson (Mrs. Paul); Phyllis Levey Hansen (Mrs. Clifford); Carol Marcus (Mrs. Ray); Olive Marth (Mrs. W. A.); Fran Mills (Mrs. Menroy); Barbara Nelson (Mrs. Nat); Delores Prellberg (Mrs. Fred); Leone Rhoads (Mrs. D. W.); Betty Robinson (Mrs. Gerald); Winnie Walker (Mrs. Dennis), and Kay Zelle (Mrs. Gordon).

This has always been an active chapter filled with music, service to others and SAI sisterhood. Music enhances our monthly meetings with programs done by members, their children and students, and special guests. Our members are active in the community, school and church groups as performers, conductors, teachers and organizers. We always strive toward those higher SAI standards.

Service to others is a byword with us. We build up a Philanthropic Fund from Avon sales, mini-musicales, and salad luncheons. By these means we try to do our share for SAI National Philanthropies plus our own chapter local interests. These include annual awards to local high school senior music students, assistance to Beta Mu Chapter at Northern Illinois University (NIU) in DeKalb, contributions to NIU Public Radio, Mendelssohn Center for the Performing Arts, Rockford Symphony, Rockford Area Arts Council and our annual “Women’s Month” gift of CDs or books to regional libraries.

Our SAI fellowship is very important to us. We share our lives and love of music and SAI with each other from September to June. We still hear those wonderful Pipes of Pan calling us and we joyfully respond to that call!

The rose image was designed by Jean Hull, Alpha Tau, and charter member of Rockford Alumnae Chapter. This image is used as the cover for our yearbook. This cover is used every year as a matter of tradition within the Chapter. It was first used in 1956, the year the Chapter received its charter. soon after, it won a second prize in the the National Yearbook Design Contest for Alumnae Chapters.

At the 1974 National Convention, our cover was chosed to be the design for the Dinner of Honors menu cover.